For over 100 years from the 1880s, Flinders Lane was the home of the garment and textile trade in Melbourne, and Manchester House was at the centre of the trading activity with its proximity to Flinders Street station.
Designed by architects Bates Peebles and Smart and built over 1911 and 1912 for Adelaide clothing manufacturers, G & R Wills and Company, the imposing corner building at 234 Flinders Lane has since been converted to provide apartments, offices and retail spaces.
Most recently, the second floor has been completely restored to recreate the original warehouse space - down to the red brick walls, concrete flooring and exposed ceilings, now juxtaposed with current-day services and facilities. It has just been leased as the Australian office HQ of Rodd & Gunn, the global manufacturer and retailer of clothing, footwear and accessories, which was established in 1946. Rodd & Gunn are relocating from Prahan.
The tenant has taken a new five-year lease of the 590sqm floor.
Fitzroys’ leasing agents Rob Harrington and Stephen Land commented that this part of Flinders Lane has become an established area for a variety of occupiers including those in the tech, higher education and creative sectors, with tenants often seeking premises specifically between the junctions of Swanston and Queen Streets.
The transaction closely follows the letting of 2,700sqm to the State Government’s Apprentices Victoria at 278 Flinders Lane/271 Collins Street in the same city block.